Theories about fundamental differences between Japan and England are mostly a load of cobblers. However, there is one difference between these two island nations I will accept:
It takes a hell of a lot longer to boil an electric kettle in Japan.
I just timed it. It took seven minutes and fifty seconds to boil one litre!
Things that can be done in seven minutes and fifty seconds
1. Travel more than 8700 miles through space just sitting here on the earth.
2. Run 3000 metres and have time for a TV interview ... if you are good.
3. Box for two professional rounds, with time for a bit of a rub down.
4. Cook a crab.
5. Travel the width of the United States in the Space Shuttle.
6. Fall asleep and snore a bit ... if you are average.
7. Do the washing up.
Actually, I've never tried that last one. Reckon it could be done though! So now you know, I am mostly sitting here on the other side of the world waiting for the kettle to boil.