Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ebooks

Writing this on my iPhone. The iPhone's book reading capacities have been a revelation. For years I waited for a screen that would simulate book paper. That has now arrived in the form of Kindles and other book readers. But now I begin to question whether that was the block after all. Perhaps we were just waiting for a big enough screen to be in our pockets and memory enough to carry the books. The iPhone is good enough for me to start dreaming of converting all my books to digital and getting a room back. The digital book revolution is underway, I think.

On a related point, since iPhones, Kindles etc. are things on which people do spend money then perhaps the cavalry is on the way for newspapers and other publishers ... But do they understand that they are no longer in the distribution business?

No comments: